I’ve had my iPhone for about 6 weeks now – and it’s taken about that long for it to grow on me.
I was really quite hesitant about buying it in the first place, I have never really liked using my friend’s iPod touch’s or iPhones but there were some distinct advantages for me in getting an internet connected phone and the iPhone seemed to offer the most advantages.
There are things I love about it and things I don’t like too much – but most of the things I don’t like are not because they’re necessarily bad but just different from what I’m used to.
What I Love:
- I LOVE using Pandora (the self-generated radio app) on it. I connect the phone to my home wifi connection and when I go out for a walk listening to Pandora, there is never any noticeable switch between the phone using my wifi and switching to cellular data. It’s really quite seamless. I’m impressed with it every time.
- I LOVE playing Words With Friends against my friends, family and some total strangers. WWF was one of the big selling points for me when picking the phone.
- I LOVE the quality of the camera. Just to show you what it’s like, I took some video of our local fourth of July fireworks show. Check it out here: iPhone4 Fireworks!
- I LOVE video chatting with friends… oh, wait, I don’t know anyone who owns one so I can’t do that yet.
- I LOVE visual voicemail. It totally rocks!
and that’s about it.
Here’s what I DON’T love about it though.
- I don’t love the ‘multitasking’. But that’s mainly because most of the apps I use don’t yet support multi-taking.
- I don’t love the way the interface works, the way you navigate.
- I don’t love not having a ‘right click’ mouse button.
- I don’t love how it manages to slide off of even seemingly flat surfaces.
What I’ve noticed though, if I’m really honest is that the things I don’t love are not necessarily BAD, they’re just different.
I’m so used to Microsoft products and the way they work that I’m pretty much programmed to think that anything different is bad.
At first I was convinced that the way you navigated from one app to another on the iPhone was a much worse system than how it’s done on Windows phones… but now, as I’m getting more and more comfortable with my iPhone and am getting used to how the operating system works, it’s not all that bad at all.
Makes me wonder what else in life I dismiss as bad just because it’s different than what I’m used to?
18 Reply to “Is it Worse or Just Different?”
I've had my iPhone for about 5 months now. I love it. I love getting beaten playing Words with Friends too 🙂
Your last question hits hard though…That hits close to me….
… and I like beating at WWF, so that's good! 🙂
Sorry about that last question… it's a tough one, I know!
My husband got one. He loves the apps, but he's a really techy kind of guy. I've had my iPhone for over a year. Don't think I've ordered one app yet.
Don't you use the tweetdeck app?
Oh…duh. I guess I do.
I still use a pay as I go t-mobile phone. I don't need anything fancier right now. Maybe if I get a teaching job or something in the future, I will reassess my needs, but right now, I only need a cell to call a tow truck if my car gets stuck, or to call my husband if I'm running VERY late and don't want him to worry.
Stick with pay-as-you-go as long as you can. It's a slippery road, I tell you. Once you start going down it, there's no going back! 🙂
I'm pretty open to new things (especially technology) so I loved playing with the iPhone and getting to know how it worked. My wife tried it several times and hated it because it was too different for her. Now after a year of me having one, she's getting one (and the new one no less–don't think I wasn't jealous). Can I say too that I love having you back blogging on a more regular basis. We missed you. 🙂
And you haven't challenged me to any more Words with Friends matches. I thought maybe you were afraid I was getting too close to actually beating you. 🙂 Nah, I don't really think that will ever happen!
I don’t know what happened with WWF. Why did I not challenge you again? Why did you not challenge me? What’s your username again?
I don’t know how long the blogging will last… it’s very draining
Is the virtual voicemail a free service? I get my iPhone tomorrow. Then I'll be playing WWF on a more regular basis and feeling more loserish on a more regular basis.
Fun… Fun.. 🙁
Yes, Visual voicemail is free – and it's a much better way to handle voicemail!
I look forward to playing wwf against you until you start beating me…
"Makes me wonder what else in life I dismiss as bad just because it’s different than what I’m used to?"
Yes, like your left hand (if you're right-handed).
-Marshall Jones Jr.
Ohhhhh, my left hand IS bad. trust me, it gets in all kinds of trouble!
the sliding off surfuces is an easy enough fix get this: http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/apple-iphone-…
if you do click to enter an Ipad .. if you don't want it and win sell it if you do want it great BUT when you enter you add an email addy and they send you discount code I have entered anbout 4 or 5 times and once got a 40% off and the rest of the times have recieved codes worth 50% off… its not sticky but my phone has stopped being so slippery since it been on
oh yeah and p.s. it provides awesome protection.
Yeah, I'm intending to get an Invisible shield… when I have the time.
Actually, I meant "When I have the MONEY"