Broken – Blog Carnival

Welcome to the One Word at a Time Blog Carnival.

It’s a new year and I believe we are going to have some new faces join us in the carnival today so WELCOME, one and all. We’re glad you could join us.

Todays word is: Broken

A few of the upcoming words are:

• January 25 – Winter
  • February 8 – Renewal
  • February 22 – Sacrifice
  • March 8 – Future
  • March 22 – Goals

I’m so glad you’ve stopped by, please feel free to join in and add your thoughts on ‘broken’ to the carnival!

Please add your link to the widget below… then enjoy what others have written as well.

Today’s Entries: Broken

My Entry: Broken

There is a certain irony to the fact that a child born on 9/11/2001 and featured as one of the ‘Faces of Hope’ for America in the aftermath of that tragic day was senselessly gunned down outside a supermarket, this weekend.

Seemingly, just nine years after the horrors of that day, that hope was snuffed out in an instant and many were left reeling, wondering where America has come to, how things have gotten to where they are and whether or not there truly is any hope left.

Well, let me tell you folks. It’s not just America.

Sure, the murders of this little girl, Christina Taylor Green, and the others who died in the same terrible event were tragic and almost impossible to understand and come to terms with but there is one overwhelming reason for it and it’s not something contained to the USA:

The world is broken

The world is broken and the people in it are broken.

We were designed and created in the image of God. We were given the chance and the choice to be whole but we rejected it and in the process became a broken people in a broken world.

Senseless, tragic, evil things happen and while there is always more that a society can do to become more moral and just, there will always be tragedy because we will always be broken…. in this life at least.

Christina Taylor Green’s life was not a loss though. In being born on 9/11 she reminded us that there is hope. Along with the evil and tragedy, there is the hope and joy of new life.

Now, in losing her life in such a senseless way, she has once again reminded us of that because, although she was taken from her family and this world way too soon, the very fact that she lived reminds us that mortal death is not the end.

We have hope because hope was given to us by the very creator we rejected.

We have hope because although we are now broken and the world around us is broken too, this world will NOT last forever and we have been given the chance for rebirth and the opportunity to share in the rebirth of this world.

We have hope because we have a savior through whom we can be made whole and with whom we will live for ever, free from brokenness, from sorrow, from tragedy and from mourning.

We have hope because we have Jesus.

I hope that Christina’s death will serve to remind us that this world is broken, but there is hope – and I hope we will lift our eyes to the bringer of our hope and accept from him the wholeness he offers and the love he freely gives.

55 thoughts on “Broken – Blog Carnival”

The world is broken and full of broken people, but there is hope beyond this world. Thanks, Peter.

You’re welcome…

and thank YOU for taking the time to read and comment

Great post, Peter. We were thinking along the same lines.

Yes we were, Glynn, yes we were.

Thanks!

3. jasonS says:

I almost wrote about the tragedy in Arizona, but I’m glad I didn’t now because you said it so wonderfully. There’s only one cure for the brokenness and He is willing and waiting to make the shattered parts whole. Thanks Peter. Great post.

Thanks, Jason.

He sure is willing to fix us… if we’ll just let him!

4. Beautiful post, Peter. Only God can give us hope in the midst of tragedy. Thanks for reminding us.

5. This is a tragic event in the history of America, indeed, mankind. Thank you for making your post more about hope than brokenness. It helps.

1. …and I don’t know why Baroque got listed twice. I’m sorry. Maybe SimplyLinked is broken. 😉

You’re welcome!

I’ll remove one of the links!

6. In our pursuit to make everything perfect in our lives, I think we forget that all things will never be perfect. While we should never give up trying to make things right, it’s good to know God is there to turn to when things fall apart. The God of comfort, the God of hope. He is good.

7. Great post brother, loving the one word at a time campaign!

Thanks, and thanks!

The blog carnivals are great. They’re an excellent way to build community!

8. Candy says:

Brokenness brings us to our knees. I think that’s where God wants us to spend more of our time. He’ll allow an awful lot of things to happen to accomplish that.

My heart aches for so many families, and I pray they knew Jesus. We know He knew them.

1. Duane Scott says:

Peter, what a timely post! A lot of people are trying to deal with the circumstances of brokenness.

But I especially like what Candy said.

Brokenness brings us to our knees. Hope is the hand God gives us to stand back up.

Thanks, Duane.

God is good!

Amen to that, Candy

Sometimes is hard to hold onto hope in the face of brokenness, but we must.

Absolutely. It’s when we let go of hope that really bad stuff starts happening!

10. Ryan Tate says:

Amen for the love he freely gives. Great post Peter.

11. Pingback: only the moon saw
  12. Lesley-Anne says:

I confess I did not fully understand the way a blog carnival works, and therefore posted works that reflected the theme, but were written previously. I am sorry, and will know better for next time. Thanks for the opportunity to participate. And for your thoughts on ‘broken’. I’m reminded of 2 Cor. 7-10… how we are all broken, yet found useful because of Jesus in us.

Thanks, Lesley-Anne.

I don’t think there are really any rules for blog carnivals, just look at what Scott wrote: http://servingstrong.com/baroque/

If you’ve already written something that fits the bill then you’re more than welcome to point us to it!

1. Lesley-Anne says:

Thanks for your kindness 🙂 It also appears that the link to my second poem isn’t working, so you may remove it entirely if you like. Thanks again for hosting this fun event!

I fixed the link for you.

13. “We have hope because we have Jesus.” That sums it up perfectly. Thanks, Peter, for sharing and for hosting the carnival.

14. Kathleen Overby says:

amen.

15. nance marie says:

one hope.

good post, brother

16. God somehow brings life from death, triumph from tragedy. Thanks for reflecting the hope that is within us…Christ in you the hope of glory.

You’re welcome.

Thanks for coming by!

17. Melissa says:

I love what you shared here, Peter. I long for the day He (Jesus) gathers all our broken pieces together into one beautiful work of art. May we learn to see His beauty in each other, and allow his light to shine on those who are hurting. Blessings.

18. Louise G says:

Great post Peter. Beautifully, though painfully, true.

Thank you, Louise.

Amen to that, Doug!

20. laura says:

I’m late to the party, but have been wanting to jump in for a little while, Peter. Thanks for hosting. This topic is particularly poignant right now, as you say so beautifully. Grace. That’s what we all need. And what we need to give. Blessings.

Thanks, Laura,

It’s great having you with us!

21. Peter – Let me say again how much I appreciate the time you put into your blog. I just know the “broken” carnival was a benefit to a host of people. I just love taking a word and looking at it from all different angles and from various perspectives.

God bless you, brother!

Thanks so much, Scott.

You’re a great encourager

22. Peter, there’s a good discussion over at the Baroque blog post. Thought you might want to know that you inspired this and I appreciate it. If you’re interested, below is a link. The last few comments are interesting.

Thanks for pointing this out to me.

I’ll stop by and check the discussion out!

23. Kath says:

Hi,
    I wanted to join in and have posted today, a slightly late link. 😉
    Thanks.