Farm – Blog Carnival

Welcome to this week’s installment of the One Word at a Time blog carnival.

This week’s word is: Farm

You are welcome to join in either by writing or reading or both. If you write a post on the topic of ‘farm’, please add your link to the little widget below so we can all find it!

Thanks. Enjoy!

Farm

We regularly drive past a strawberry field.

Every time we see that field, my two-year old daughter asks if we can go get strawberries from them.

Every time.

Summer, winter, spring, fall.. it doesn’t matter to her, all she knows is that she loves strawberries and that’s where strawberries come from.

Every time.

We try to explain seasons to her every time and every time she seems to understand… but then every time she forgets again.

It’s a simple concept. There are seasons. Some are growing seasons, some are harvesting seasons and others are resting seasons.

Yet she keeps on forgetting.

It sounds silly that someone can forget a concept as simple as seasons… and yet she does.

I would worry that there was something wrong with her, except I forget that there are seasons, too.

Not seasons of the year, but seasons in life.

Sometimes when it’s rest time I worry that I’m not harvesting. Sometimes when I’m growing I think it’s rest time or harvest time and fight against the growing that’s happening.

I forget that there are seasons in life all the time. Seasons in my emotions, seasons in my spiritual walk, seasons in everything.

Just as farmers know there are seasons for everything and you have to do everything in its time, so we have to remember that our lives are constantly going through seasons… and we need to do the things that are right for the season we are in.

What season are you in in your life right now?

19 thoughts on “Farm – Blog Carnival”

1. Amy Nabors says:

Peter you have no idea how much I needed the reminder that we go through seasons. Especially the growing ones. Thank you.

2. Thank you for this. I’m thinking…perhaps some of the things we teach our little ones over and over are the things we need frequent refresher courses on ourselves?

That sounds JUST like something God would arrange.

Right now I have to keep reminding myself that things I could do in the spring season of life don’t necessarily lend themselves to later seasons. Usually it takes some physical reminder — strained back, broken ribs, etc.

Good post, Peter.

4. As a farmer’s wife, I find harvest to be one of the loveliest seasons of all. Funny, because that’s when everything is dying. But there is beauty in the dying. For every season, there is a turn unto the next, and unto the next. Nothing ends in the dying…

1. HisFireFly says:

“beauty in the dying”

True. This.

5. CFloyd says:

Excellent analogy! It’s so true of most of us “mature” Christians and adults: we forget too there are seasons in life. Thankful for the God of the Harvest!

6. jasonS says:

I wrote about this very thing in tomorrow’s post and I love how you stated it here! Following Jesus sometimes means following Him into rest and that’s another facet of His love and grace. Wonderful post, Peter. Thanks so much.

7. Oustanding, Peter! What a good and needed message, with echoes of Ecclesiastes 3.

8. It is easy to mix up the seasons in life. I liked what you said “when it’s rest time I worry that I’m not harvesting.” We must stay in tune with the Master Farmer and get our almanac (schedule) in line with him. Good examples and give your sweet daughter some sweet strawberries as they are in season now.

9. I forget there are seasons too. Some come and go quickly, or arrive early and leave late. I’m in a season of healing but I often forget that too.

Great post, Peter. This topic is turning out better than I thought it would. 🙂

10. Frank says:

In everything, turn, turn, turn; there is a season, turn, turn, turn… Now I have that song in my head. And I’m hungry for strawberries.

Good reminder, Peter. I think I’m in early spring, anxiously waiting for something to sprout.

11. HisFireFly says:

We would prefer, I think, to be able to choose our seasons. It takes all of life to learn the lesson of surrender.

What an excellent analogy and reflection, Peter. Like you, I often find myself confusing my seasons instead of simply allowing God to get me through them, whatever they may be.

13. nance marie says:

i really enjoyed the strawberry story 🙂
    it will help me to remember
    about God’s timing.

14. Anna says:

Oh–I love strawberry picking– it’s become a fun family activity. And, your reflection is an excellent reminder for me, how I confuse seasons, too, especially those that may involve waiting.

15. Nancy says:

I came across this prompt last week but had written about my family’s farm not long ago. However, the prompt got me thinking and so I called my mom and asked her for some more stories. I wanted to thank you for giving me that gift. I wrote about some of Mom’s stories at my place today. I’m finding myself in a season or remembering and wanting to preserve.