It’s a Royal Wedding – So What?

Many people have been vociferously asking what’s all the fuss about. So, two people are getting married. So what?

I could understand this in some ways for people from the rest of the world but it has been coming from people within the UK as well. Some shoot back the answer, “One day he’ll be king. He’s a big deal.”

The response then comes, “He was born into a privileged position which he didn’t earn and is largely irrelevant and now he’s getting married. So what? What does that have to do with me. He’s irrelevant.”

I might respond that one day he’ll be king, so when he marries, he’s not just gaining himself a wife but he’s giving us a queen – and by the looks of things, a very good one.

Yet the question remains… so what?

The Anti-Royalist/Atheist

I think that famed atheist and anti-royalist Christopher Hitchens does the greatest job of asking ‘So What?’ and yet, at the same time, his atheistic beliefs betray him and give us the answer.

I’m not going to suggest for one moment that you have to be atheist to be anti-royalist or that you have to be anti-royalist if you are an atheist, however, I believe that atheism and anti-royalistic ideals can go hand in hand because of their foundation.

An atheist believes that there is no God. There is no higher power or authority, there is no greater reason for our existence, there is no creator, no sustainer… in short there is nothing than that which we see in front of us.

To an atheist, the idea of bowing to some supernatural being, of having any form of moralistic center, any form of universal law is absurd.

We are everything there is, according to the atheist. What we see and do is everything. One day we die and then it’s all over for us.

To have some form of government to keep peace and order during our lives is probably sensible, they would say, but that government should be elected by us, the people and should therefore make laws depending on what the prevailing public belief is at the time.

If we are all there is, then our collective beliefs about right and wrong are correct… because there is no-one outside of us to say that they are wrong.

The idea of having a monarchy, and a hereditary monarchy at that is ridiculous to the atheist. Why, after all, should any one family get to decide what’s right and wrong for me and you? if we are all there is, then none of us are greater than any others.

Sure, if someone takes control by use of force, they can rule, because the guy with the biggest stick gets to make the rules but why a family who have done no conquering in hundreds of years should continue to rule is beyond the atheist’s understanding. Especially when that family actually no longer has power, they are just there as expensive, pampered, out-of-touch figure heads.

But There is a God

I actually agree with Christopher Hitchens about the monarchy… at least I would if his foundational principle and belief were correct.

The idea of a monarchy would be completely absurd, if there was no god… but there is!

The very existence of God changes every aspect of the foundation of Hitchens’ beliefs about the monarchy.

God is real. God is in control. God is sovereign, absolute and all-powerful. We use words to describe him like omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent.

We live in a world where there is a higher power, where there is a moral absolute, where there is an unchanging, unwavering ruler, controller and sustainer.

Wherever you are in the world, wherever you live, you live under a Monarchy. The ultimate Monarchy.

As the Psalmist says, “The earth is the Lord’s and everything in it, the world and all who live in it.” (Psalm 24:1)

A Reflection of God’s Authority

The British Monarchy is, therefore a reflection of that ultimate reality.

Just as God rules the whole world without being voted in and sets laws regardless of human opinion, so an earthly monarchy is hereditary and makes rules and laws without any approval or input from the people.

OK, so Britain’s monarchy is currently impotent as almost all of its power has been taken by the government but it still stands as an image, an example of God’s Kingship and authority.

Her majesty Queen Elizabeth II upset some members of the public after the death of Princess Diana in 1997 because she refused to change time-honored rules and protocol to allow a flag to be flown at half-mast above Buckingham palace in honor of the late Princess.

If I remember correctly, in an attempt to placate the people, she eventually allowed something to be done but I applaud her for unwillingness to change the rules.

In this day and age, people have largely rejected the idea of absolute morality and instead want laws and regulations to change depending on the current consensus.

It is my belief that the Queen recognizes that morality is an absolute concept and has not changed since before the beginning of time – and never will.

What God says is right does not change depending on what the majority of people think, it is fixed and unwavering.

The Queen demonstrates those absolutes when she refuses to allow rules, regulations and protocols to change and shift with the wind and with popular opinion. She takes seriously her role as an example to us of God’s unwavering character.

But What About The Wedding?

Given the context of what the royal family represents, I think the wedding has very real significance  – and I’m going to use this post as a foundation for an explanation of that significance later in the week.

What do you think? Is the Monarchy a reflection of the supremacy of God?

22 thoughts on “It’s a Royal Wedding – So What?”

1. Appreciate the post brother. Loving it!

Thanks, Matthew!!

2. Jessica says:

I think Americans have the least idea what the concept of God as Lord really means, in relation to authority, devotion, loyalty and any number of other things. Because, let’s face it, we’re a bit too let-freedom-ring around here, and to our detriment I think.

Congratulation on your future Queen. She was absolutely gorg. 😉

Yes, I think that democracy is very harmful to the Christian faith… Christianity is not a democracy, after all 🙂

Thanks for your great comment!

3. dustin says:

To be honest, Peter, I had never thought about the monarchy in this way. I really enjoyed reading how you laid out your thoughts and compared/related the two…

Thanks, Dustin.

God willing, there’s more to come later in the week.

4. Quite interesting lad. While, as a Brit, I solidly support the Royal Family (mostly) and was at a Royal Wedding Watch Party with my 10 year old daughter at 4am in the middle of America, I had never thought of the monarchy as a reflection of the supremacy of God. Thank you for sharing your perspective. It is definately something worth contemplation.

Thanks, Mark.

I missed it completely and was actually very sad that I did.

I’m going to write more about the Monarchy in the coming days.

5. I was hoping you’d post something on the wedding. Glad you did. Fascinating thoughts here. Thanks, Peter.

Thanks, Jennifer.

There’s more to come. God willing!

6. Jennie says:

Great post, Pete! Well done! The idea of authority generally isn’t that popular to our modern rights-based minds.

Love the way you’ve drawn out the underlying connection with atheism though, brilliant!

Hitchens gave himself away.

He used such similar language and arguments about the monarchy to when he talks about God that the link was hard not to see.

Thanks!

I’m feverishly writing (in my head) the follow-up about Royal Weddings, how we should react to them and the symbolism that’s there.

7. Never thought of it this way. I love your perspective!

On another note, I was bothered a bit by the religious formality of the ceremony, when it didn’t seem like anyone really believed it or meant what they said. Maybe I’m passing a judgement I shouldn’t, though. I obviously don’t know the people, but that’s just how it came off to me. I was turned off just because of it… just make it a civil ceremony already, if you don’t believe any of it! I’d write a post about it, but you know me and posting these days. 🙂

My loyalist tendencies make me what to jump to the defense of the people involved, but I’ll try to me more real…

1) They HAD to have a religious ceremony. The Queen is the head of the Church of England, as William will be one day. There’s no way to avoid the full-blown church wedding!

2) I don’t know whether they believed any of it or not (I know the Queen does) but I remember my wedding day… I just couldn’t wait for all the preaching to be over. I tried to take it all in but there was so much else to come, I couldn’t focus on any of it.

I can only imagine how it must be to play out your wedding vows in a church with 1900 people in it plus cameras from all of the world’s major TV stations and most of the minor ones with a million or so people waiting outside to see you etc etc.

I personally don’t think you can read anything into their expressions… especially William and Kate’s. The situation is just too unique.

Of course, I could be totally wrong…..

8. Thanks for shedding some light on this Peter. The fact that William and Kate lived together for almost 10 years before marrying does make a bit of a mockery of marriage. I am British and can relate to the Monarchy for the British, but now I live in Canada (and have seen first hand the devastating effects of making it a ‘colony,’ don’t believe the Queen should be Queen of the Commonwealth. It costs taxpayers a huge amount of money everytime she and her entourage visit, and there’s not only her but all the other royals who visit regularly.
    I believe that money would be better spent paying restitution to Native peoples whose land was stolen from them.

The living together part does change things, I agree but the fact that they were prepared to move on from that cannot be ignored.

It probably doesn’t say too much about the state of their faith though.

I can see how having an essentially absentee head of state could be bad and I know it costs a huge amount when any of them visit….

There’s another blog post in that though…

I might just have to write that one! 🙂

9. Ryan Tate says:

Peter, great post man. I’m with you on this and I understand exactly what you’re saying. Christians in general, but especally Americans, don’t understand the idea of “kingdom”. The thing Jesus spoke mostly of was establishing his kingdom. We’d benefit from meditating on what it means to be in the kingdom of God.

Thanks, Ryan.

To be honest, most people in Britain don’t really know what it’s like to be part of a ‘Kingdom’ either, because the monarchy has so little actual power.

I wish it were different….

10. jasonS says:

I do think it’s important to have some link to help us understand His kingship and authority. Great post and questions, Peter. Thanks.

Thanks, Jason.

We can actually learn so much about Kingly authority from the royal family.

I might just end up doing a series on this!

11. Kelly Sauer says:

Fascinating to think about…