Home – Blog Carnival

YAY!!!! It’s One Word at a Time blog carnival time again!

This week’s word is: Home

You are welcome to join in either by writing or reading or both. If you write a post on the topic of ‘home’, please add your link to the little widget below so we can all find it!

Thanks. Enjoy!

Not My Home

I come from a land of castles and country manor’s, of moors and marshes, of fish and chips and spam fritters, of Queens and Princes, a land which, in my memory at least, is like a page from one of Enid Blyton’s The Famous Five books.

I come from England. The Land of Hope and Glory. Britain, Britannia, the home of football (soccer) a tiny island which, in union with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland once ruled a huge part of the globe.

But it’s not my home.

I was born there, of British parents. My ancestry is Scottish (with some Viking thrown in). I lived there for the first thirty years of my life. By all accounts, England should be where I call home – and a small part of me does.

However, God doesn’t want me to live there right now, He wants me in the Golden State. California, USA.

So, for now, this is my home.

They say home is where the heart is and my heart is with my wife, so wherever she calls home is my home.

I often get asked if I ever want to go ‘home’ and I tell them I AM home… but that’s not entirely true – and it’s not what I really think.

You see, I, like many of the people who will read this today, am not of this world.

We often say that kind of stuff.

“I’m a citizen of heaven” and all that but most of the time, we don’t really believe it.

We act like this is home – but this is not our home.

One day, one wonderful day, we will go home. Until that day, we’re just passing through.

I cannot think of England as my home any more than I think of California as my home. To do so would open me up to pining for it – and the only place i want to pine for is my ultimate home – where we will live with our King forever.

I am just passing through. A sojourner, a traveler.

I could move to a new house, a new town, a new State, even a new country tomorrow and it wouldn’t make any difference to me (as long as they have good food 🙂 )

This is not my home.

Is it yours?

27 thoughts on “Home – Blog Carnival”

Beautiful post, Peter. Thanks for hosting.

2. I am a little disturbed that spam fritters are a reality… and is this considered good food? 😉

Nah, it ain’t my home either. My family has endured several relocations in the last 2 years and ever since the first move, our “stuff” has become so less valuable; I really only want to pack a box or two, not a whole 18-wheeler full.

Blessings.

3. Loni says:

Right away, I thought of the song I shared on my post, regarding our home being heaven . . . and I see our thoughts long for the same “home”. This was a great word . . . thanks for sharing!

4. Patricia says:

Hello there! Nice to meet you. I love your attitude about your home and it’s physical location vs. our heavenly destination. Even these eartly tents that we live in are quite temporary dwellings. But, we gals sure love to create a nurturing nest of an environment called “home,” don’t we? My post is a tribute to my mom and the home she created for us 10 kids. My “Home” post is at the top of a page of 4 tributes that I have written to my loved ones who have recently passed away. I don’t intend for you to read all of them. I wasn’t quite sure how to reference that post only, or even how to move it. At any rate, my apologies if I have caused any confusion. =)

5. nance marie says:

keep on truckin’
    (good post, peter)

6. Pingback: On finding home |
  7. “As long as they have good food!” I like that. Temporary at best is what we have here on this earth. “Eye has not seen nor ear heard what God has prepared for those who love him.” We can only imagine, but I believe the food will be good there too!

8. Nancy says:

I visited England for the first time a couple of summers ago, so thanks for taking me back there. I’m participating for the first time this week and had a great time wandering back through so many homes, all of which made me long for my true home. Thanks for inviting us here.

9. Kirsten says:

What a beautiful perspective, that by pining for a home we’ve left, we take our hearts away from the true home we need to focus our eyes on.

I wish I could say I don’t pine for England, but I DO. Maybe because I adopted it as my home, it has a uniquely tight grip on my heart?? ah well.

lovely piece, and what a fun word for the Carnival.

All that is gold is not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost – JRR Tolkien

Perhaps it’s good that I never truly feel at home, this wandering soul pining for its true home. Great post, Peter.

11. Sometimes I get strong glimpses that this is indeed not my home. As the old song says, “I’m just a-travelin’ through.”

Good post, Peter. And thanks for hosting us again so faithfully.

12. Frank says:

Great post. Had I gotten around to it, I would’ve posted something along the same lines. Although without the spam fritters. And vikings. Ok, maybe our posts wouldn’t have been anything alike after all. 🙂

13. Louise G says:

Lovely perspective! Lovely post!

Thanks for hosting the Blog Carnival. I’m so grateful you do.

This is my “home away from home.” I’m at home where I feel love, and there is more love in Heaven than anywhere else.

15. HisFireFly says:

I think we’re all hungry for “home” and what joy awaits us when we finally arrive!

16. HisFireFly says:

I added a new post – a poem this time.

17. Father Stephen says:

Why are you still waiting to go home? Ephesians 2 verse 6 says (NIV) ‘and God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms.’ You are already there, with Jesus, sitting in heaven! When someone walks into your house in California they walk into a little bit of heaven on earth. Don’t they?

18. Diane says:

hmm — finally getting in sync: I actually posted this one BEFORE I knew this week’s word!

19. Nancy says:

Hmmm…I thought I had commented earlier today. Anyway. Thanks so much for hosting this link-up. Thinking about home over the past couple of weeks has been a really sweet experience.

20. I live in two places, my body in this world and my heart in His kingdom. I try to be no more discontent in this world than an amount to spur me on to good deeds. But it is difficult to not pine for the place that holds my heart.

21. Ginger says:

Christ, God and the Holy Spirit. There is nothing more.