I recently got back from BlogWorld L.A. and have been trying to work out how to do the seemingly obligatory ‘wrap-up’ post without just copying what everyone else is saying.
I say ‘obligatory’ because all the cool kids do them, so all the rest of us just ‘have’ to do them to try and join their gang!
Ok… so, maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but the truth is that blog conferences are awesome and it’s hard NOT to want to (over)share about them.
My genius solution was to sit down and list the reasons why you wouldn’t want to go to a blog conference and leave all the positive stuff up to your imagination (although you need a VERY active imagination to conjure up the awesomeness of an event like BlogWorld).
So… here are just six reasons NOT to go to a blog conference:
- You’re happy where you are and don’t want to improve your blogging skills – because, seriously, even just being around that much bloggy talent can elevate your bloggery skills immensely.
- You use social media not to be social but to say your piece without any interaction – If you’re not interested in actually connecting with people, don’t go to a conference. However, if you go, you’ll make great new friends and have a wonderfully social time!
- You know it all already and don’t want to share – one of the great things about blog conferences is that the sessions are designed to help you learn from people who know. What’s even greater is that the people who know freely give of their time to go there to share what they know with you… if you’ll just listen!
- You’re shy and introverted and will just hide in a corner the whole time. I know how you feel. That’s me. I do that at conferences but the great thing I’ve found is that there is always someone who is ready and willing to negotiate you past your shyness and help you connect, network, learn and have fun. THANK YOU so much to the wonderful people at BlogWorld who ignored the fact that I was quaking in fear in a corner and introduced me to people and made the whole experience a lot better for me. You know who you are… and you’re all Type-A peeps!
- You can’t afford it. This is a big one, and it’s one of the reasons I had never gone to one before this year, but there ARE ways around it. For example, if you have something you’re knowledgeable in, you might be able to speak there in your own session – and speakers get in to the WHOLE conference free. Alternatively, you can probably find a company who would be willing to sponsor your trip in whole or in part! The whole return on your investment though is probably WAY bigger than you think it could be, so I fully recommend that you take the leap, make an investment in your blogging future and get yourself to a conference next year. Don’t forget, booking early gets you BIG discounts on tickets!
- You HATE Free stuff. Food, drinks, parties, electronics, car show tickets, books, hats, t-shirts and magazines are just a few of the things I got for free from BlogWorld this year… it’s incredible. But hey, who wants free stuff?