You are here: Home » Faith » Carnival » Marching – Blog Carnival

Marching – Blog Carnival

Soldiers Marching

Stock Media Courtesy of Pond5

Welcome to our ‘Marching’ blog carnival.

No matter how you’ve come to be here or where you’re coming from, you’re welcome and we’d love for you to come back and visit us again soon.

The idea of the carnival is simple. We pick one word every two weeks and all write a blog post inspired by that word, this week being the word marching. It’s fascinating to see the range of different trains of thought that can come from just one word.

Below this, you’ll find a little widget called Simply Linked. All the participants add their links to the widget and that way, we can all find and read all the entries into the carnival. You’re welcome to join us, the carnival is open to anyone.

To see all of the upcoming words and their dates, visit http://peterpollock.com/category/faith/carnival/

 

Time is Marching on!

A clock face superimposed on a calendar

Stock Media Courtesy of Pond5

I’m old!

I know in the grand scheme of things I’m not old… but I’m just heading for my 37th birthday… and I feel old.

It’s not the aching back and memory loss that’s making me feel old so much as it’s the fact that my life is flying by and I really haven’t achieved much yet.

I was looking at one of my cousin-in-law’s Facebook pages the other day and found it kind of weird a bunch of adults were commenting on this seventeen year old’s page.

Why were all these adults getting in on OUR thing. Can’t they just leave us young ‘uns alone?

Then I realized I AM one of the adults… probably one of the older ones.

I’m old.

… and what have I done?

Maybe I’m having a mid-life crisis…

I wonder, do you feel the same way?

Is your life full of achievement or do you feel like time is marching on and you’ve missed out on something or haven’t done enough in the year’s you’ve had?

… or is it just me?

Post Info:
Written By: PeterP
On: January 23rd, 2012
See More In: Carnival
Tagged:
Navigate:   -  

13 Responses to Marching – Blog Carnival

  1. Louise G wrote:

    Just so you know… you’re not old.

    And, my mid-life crisis came at 35. It was the scariest age ever!

    Having ridden the wave of my fear, I can honestly say, it only gets better! The best is yet to come.

  2. Jennie wrote:

    Ha! Well as your big sister I have an even bigger milestone coming up this year! I’ve decided to try to head the terror off at the pass by listing 40 things I’m thankful for, and 40 things I’ve achieved or experienced that I never thought I would (or that I’m just amazed about). It gives you a much better perspective on things.
    Think of yourself sitting in Mrs Paver’s class. Tell that little boy that in 30-odd years he’d have a house, a wife, three amazing kids, a car that you can start without leaving the house… oh, and that he moved to America, and is a conference speaker and an author… and all the other things in your life.
    You’ll be amazed at what God has done in and through you, and hopefully the next 37 years won’t feel so daunting!

    Your proud sis xx

    • PeterP wrote:

      Is it good form to announce to the world that you’re ‘proud’? I thought humility was more the order of the day….

      anyhoo..

      All those things really depend on your point of view. Is moving out of the country an achievement? is buying a car with my wife’s earnings an achievement? Would it be more of an achievement if I designed and built the car myself?

      I’m really not sure….

      • Jennie wrote:

        Don’t you think managing to find a wife who loves you and is godly and will share everything with you is an achievement?

        Yes, it might be more of an achievement to have built the car yourself – or to have invented cars in the first place, or invented mining to get the metals out of the ground to make car parts, but you only have to do the things God has given you to do.

        For some people, just getting out of bed in the morning is a success. Stop measuring yourself by other people’s standards. In a post on here once you reminded us ‘You don’t know what they’re going through’ – what you’ve achieved might be far greater than inventing the car on the scale God has given you.

        And I do think it’s a huge achievement to move countries. I was incredibly chuffed with myself (not allowed to say ‘proud’ :o) ) that I managed to organise all the things that needed to be done when I moved countries. Yes, your wife helped you, but don’t belittle what you did.

        If that doesn’t help you, though, do look for 37 things you’re thankful for. Even if you feel you don’t deserve them. In fact, especially if you feel you don’t deserve them, because they’re the real gifts, that God lavishes on you, because he loves you. None of us deserve that. In fact, none of us deserve anything, but our loving Father gives to us according to our need, just as you continue to feed and clothe and love your children even if they haven’t earned it that day.

        End of Preach!

  3. Cris Ferreira wrote:

    Well, Peter, I understand where you are now. Yep, maybe it is a mid-life crisis, but I think, at least for me, that God is trying to make me move more, do more, help more.
    Last year I decided to quit my job, and it was one of best things I did ever. Still, there are a lot of people that think I was/am going through a mid-life crisis. :-)
    If we get comfortable, or if at 37 or 40 (me) we think that we accomplished everything we had to accomplish, that is very dangerous, because we accomodate. So feeling uncomfortable is good. That makes us want to move.

  4. Pingback: We Should Have Learned to … « Jevlir Caravansary

  5. Hazel I Moon wrote:

    Time does march on and at a faster pace with each year. One thing that you could do to improve your Blog carnival. May I humbly suggest sending out a reminder either on Friday or Monday with the bew WORD and an invitation to return and take part. Perhaps your sister could do this for you. KatDish might step up. Me – Nada – I am too old and time is really catching up with me.

  6. Carol wrote:

    You are just 37! But I guess we all feel the march of time. When people ask me why I am growing out my hair– longest it has ever been, I say that it is my late midlife crisis.

  7. I’m on a wild ride and holding on for dear life. I don’t feel old really, but I can identify with the feeling of life flying by. Good things are happening and God is fulfilling His promise–not too shabby! Thankful I get to live in it. Thanks Peter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>



Get my blog posts via email! Enter your email address:

Buy Web Hosting For Dummies at Amazon.com Buy Web Hosting For Dummies at IndieBound
Buy Web Hosting For Dummies at Barnes and Noble
Buy Web Hosting For Dummies at Books-A-Million