Welcome to the One Word At A Time Blog Carnival – this week’s word is: More.
Below this, you’ll find a little widget called Simply Linked. All the participants in the carnival add their links to the widget and that way we can all find and read everyone’s entries. You’re welcome to join us, the carnival is open to anyone.
To see all of the upcoming words and their dates, visit http://peterpollock.com/category/faith/carnival/
I Want More!
I think it’s part of the human condition to want more. We yearn for it, we strive for it. We lust after it.
It doesn’t matter what your ‘more’ is, it’s different for different people but there’s always something we want more of.
Society today is increasingly centered around the concept of more being better. Advertising tells us we ‘deserve’ it and companies are always looking for ways to help us to get it – although we often find we have to pay for it later.
The idea of wanting more is not a new thing though, look back through history and you’ll see a constant, often bloody fight for more. More land, more money, more slaves, more glory, more food… the list goes on.
In fact, the American Declaration of Independence even describes it as an inalienable right. What is “The pursuit of happiness” if it’s not people striving to be happy… or put another way, people striving for MORE happiness.
I thought then that today, for this ‘more’ blog carnival, I would turn the lens on myself and force myself to look at what ‘more’ I want – because hidden therein is who I really am.
Here’s what I came up with. I want more:
- Time to work. I desperately want to do MORE for my clients and having more time to work would let me do that.
- Time with my wife. My wife is AMAZING. If you knew her, you’d want to spend more time with her too!
- Money to give away. There is so much need around the world and even right here in our town. I would love to have the money to be able to bless people financially when I see that they need it.
- Motivation. My depression has robbed me of my motivation. Forcing myself to do anything is a struggle.
- Patience. My kids need a dad whose fuse is, well, still there. I sometimes feel like I don’t even have a fuse anymore.
- Desire for God. I want to yearn for a deeper relationship with him in a way that I don’t do right now.
- Technology. If I’m honest, this is a major thing for me. I love technology and ALWAYS want more of it!
- Wealth for myself. Yes, I’m greedy. I fight it, but I want a nice house, nice car and to actually have some disposable income.
As you see, my list is varied. Some of these things I’m proud of wanting more of, others I battle against because the ‘more’ that I want is just selfish greed and lust.
How about you?
What are the things that you (secretly) want more of. What is your heart REALLY yearning for?