We are nearing publication of my next book and don’t want to make the mistakes I made with my first self-published book so we’re trying to take things a little slower, despite my natural desire to rush headlong into it again!
Unlike A Very Different School, which was the first book in my Fantastic Fieldtrips series, we have an illustrator, Tyler Price, who is working hard on illustrations for the interior of the book as well as working with us to create a great front cover.
We really want to get this right though, so, even though it may put the release date of the book back a little, I’d really, REALLY appreciate it if you’d help us out by giving some (constructive) criticism.
The series is about Professor Alexander and his class of school kids who go on fantastic fieldtrips back in time to learn lessons by watching how different events unfolded in history. It’s part fact, part fiction.
Fighting Fear teaches about how to learn to overcome fear by the time travelers watching David defeat Goliath and then going back in time to watch him growing up to see how he became brave enough to face a giant with nothing but a sling and a stone.
A sample of the current idea for the front cover is shown at the top of this post. Don’t worry about the fonts and letter sizes, I’ve just slapped those in quickly for the purposes of this exercise. What we’d love to know though, is the answers to any/all of the following questions:
- If you saw that book cover on the shelves or on Amazon, would you buy the book for your 6-10 year old child/grandchild/friend/relative?
- Does the cover need to include an image of the time machine/the time travelers?
- Does the cover, as it is, make you think this is just another David and Goliath book?
- Are the cover and name universally appealing to both boys and girls?
- What do you think of the title? Can you think of a better one?
- What, if anything do you think we should do differently to make it more appealing to people like you browsing looking for books?
Your input on any of those questions would be greatly appreciated!